Customs and Border Protection told major U.S. airlines Friday night they should go “back to business as usual" after a federal judge issued a temporary nationwide restraining order stopping President Trump's executive order banning citizens of seven countries from entering the United States.
CNN reported Friday night that CBP held a 9 p.m. conference call with major airlines, telling them visas are being reinstated following the judge’s action.
An airline executive told CNN that CBP is "back to prior to the situation that was in place before last week's executive order.”
Judge James Robart, who was appointed by former President George Bush in 2003, ruled Friday that the executive order would be stopped nationwide, effective immediately.
Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson, a Democrat, filed the lawsuit three days after Trump signed the executive order. The suit argued that the travel ban targets Muslims and violates constitutional rights of immigrants and their families.
The ruling, made at the request of Washington and Minnesota, is the broadest to date against Trump's executive order.
Trump's action bans people from Iraq, Iran, Syria, Yemen, Libya, Sudan and Somalia from entering the U.S. for 90 days. It also temporarily halts the United States' refugee resettlement program for 120 days, while indefinitely suspending resettlement for refugees from Syria.
The executive order, issued last Friday, immediately stirred controversy when travelers who were en route to the U.S. when it was signed were detained at airports. Protesters have demonstrated at airports across the county.